Canada: Somalian shot dead by Ontario man.

Halkaan ka akhri

EDMONTON – An Ontario man who took a Somali man to an Edmonton park at gunpoint and then shot him to death was handed a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years Friday.

Abdikadir (Abdi) Abdow, 24, was earlier convicted of first-degree murder for the April 26, 2009, slaying of Mohamed (Malik) Khalif, 20, at the city’s Hermitage Park.

A second man, Mohamed Abdilla Awaleh, 38, who was acquitted of the killing, but convicted of two counts of kidnapping, was handed a four-and-a-half-year prison term less 11 months for time spent in pre-trial custody.

Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Brian Burrows cited a victim impact statement filed by Khalif’s older brother, Ahmed Khalif, which described the killing as a “senseless and horrific crime” that “destroyed many lives.”

In the statement, Khalif wrote about his family happily emigrating to Canada in 2003 following 12 years in a refugee camp in Kenya after fleeing war-torn Somalia.

“What we originally thought was a dream has become a nightmare and it haunts me to this day,” said Khalif.

Khalif also addressed Abdow in the statement, saying: “I want you to know that you by yourself have ruined my life. You took away my baby brother. I will never see him again because of you. . . I hope you will have to reflect about how your senseless act destroyed many lives.”

Burrows earlier convicted Abdow of first-degree murder for committing the killing during a kidnapping and ruled Awaleh was guilty of kidnapping because he helped Abdow hold the victim and Mustafa Warsame, 26, against their wills in his apartment and drove them to the park.

Warsame testified during the four-week trial of “running for his life” and hiding in a pond after a man he had been taken to a city park at gunpoint with was shot to death.

Warsame told court he and Khalif had been forcibly confined at Awaleh’s north-side apartment and said Abdow, who was armed with a rifle, was pushing, slapping and insulting Khalif and telling him he was “going to die.”

In the morning, Warsame said Abdow marched them out and into a car and Awaleh drove them to Hermitage Park.

At the park, Warsame said he and Khalif were ordered out of the car and Abdow stood by them holding his rifle before turning and shooting Khalif in the stomach.

Source: Toronto Sun

%d bloggers like this: